On this page:
Stationers' Hall comprises a suite of grand inter-linking rooms as well as a secluded private garden.
The layout and flexibility of each room allows for a variety of set ups from a large event to a more intimate occasion. The following room pages give more detail about each of the rooms and garden as well as capacities.
The Stock Room
The Stock Room is perfect for a pre-dinner reception, a breakout space during a conference or meeting or even as the dance floor for Weddings and evening dinner dance events.
The oak panelling and carvings in the Stock Room date back to the 17th century, while around the friezes are displayed the armorial shields of Past Masters or the Company including HRH The Duke of Windsor. The room takes its name from the Company’s publishing venture founded in 1603.
The Court Room
The Court Room is a wonderfully bright room, richly carpeted and with rococo ornamentation in gold adorning the walls. It is dominated by an 18th century carved mantelpiece.
This room is especially suitable for smaller meetings, seminars and AGMs; or as a catering area for larger conference events taking place in the Main Hall. It is also excellent for a drinks reception before a seated lunch or dinner; or wedding breakfast.
It overlooks the Garden, which is accessed by a decorative balcony and wrought iron staircase. Both, the Court Room and Garden, are particularly popular during the warmer months, particularly for weddings and summer parties.
The Livery Hall
The Livery Hall is the largest of the function rooms within Stationers’ Hall. Gleaming oak flooring and carved oak panelling originating from the 1600's, together with huge stained glass windows give this room an impressive ambience.
This room is particularly suitable for larger events such as conferences, meetings and exhibitions to formal seated lunches, dinners and standing receptions.
The stained glass windows, backlit for evening events, portray William Shakespeare, William Caxton, St Cecelia (a reference to the patron saint of music, whose festivals were celebrated in the Hall), William Tynedale and Archbishop Cranmer. The great north Caxton window depicts William Caxton showing his printing press to King Edward IV.
At the south end, there is a carved screen, surmounted by a Minstrels’ Gallery, which may be used for small bands or choirs. The Hall is licenced for civil ceremonies for up to 200 guests and is also a splendid location for a wedding breakfast.
Candlelight, live music and evenings spent dancing are permitted in this room.
The beautiful paved and landscaped Garden is a totally private and secluded space which is a hidden treasure in the heart of the City of London.
The Garden offers a unique setting for corporate and private barbecues, standing receptions and summer parties. It is also an excellent backdrop for those all-important wedding photographs and cocktails prior to the wedding breakfast. Live music and entertainment are also permitted in the Garden.
Connected by a decorative wrought iron staircase to the Court Room but with easy access to the Main Hall and Stock Room, the Garden is available to all clients who are hiring the Hall. The Garden is dominated by an enormous plane tree which marks the spot where heretical books, condemned by the ecclesiastical authorities, were burnt in the Tudor times.