Recipe of the Month - January 2017
Healthy Chicken & Brussel Sprout Stir-fry
Something healthy and different for those cold winter nights and a great way to use those sprouts!
Provided by Emlyn Sexon, Life’s Kitchen Company Head Chef
- 100g soba noodle
- 100g shredded curly kale
- 1 x red onion (sliced)
- 1 x clove garlic (chopped)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 lean chicken breast, skin removed and sliced into thin strips
- 25g piece fresh ginger (peeled and sliced into matchsticks)
- 1 red pepper (de-seeded and thinly sliced)
- Handful of brussel sprouts (cut into quarters)
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine or white wine vinegar
- zest and juice of one lime
- Small bunch of coriander
Cook the noodles following pack instructions, then drain and set aside. Meanwhile, heat a large wok or frying pan and add the kale along with a good splash of water and cook for 1-2 mins until wilted, with a little bite remaining, then cool under running water to keep the colour.
Add half the oil and cook the chicken strips until browned, then remove and set aside. Heat the remaining oil and fry the garlic, ginger, pepper, onions and sprouts until softened a little. Return the chicken and kale and add the noodles.
Tip in the soy, rice wine and lime zest and juice along with enough water to create a sauce that clings to the ingredients
Divide the stir-fry between 2 bowls, sprinkle with some coriander, and enjoy!