Recipe of the Month - January 2016
Healthy Slaw Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash
This lovely slaw salad works great as a side or even on its own with any leftover cooked meats, great for those looking to get in shape after the festive weeks!
Provided by Emlyn Sexon, Life’s Kitchen Company Head Chef
- ¼ red cabbage, finely sliced
- ¼ green cabbage, finely sliced
- 6 x florets of broccoli, finely sliced
- 1 x Beetroot (precooked), small dice
- Half a butternut squash
- 1 x tbsp. olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Handful of walnuts, out of their shells, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp. walnut oil
- 1 tbsp. sherry or red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pre heat oven to 180’c, Remove skin and seeds from butternut squash, small dice place on a baking tray, drizzle olive oil over and season, then roast in the oven for 15 minutes or until cooked. (Leave on the side to chill)
Place the sliced red & white cabbage, carrots, broccoli, beetroot and walnuts into a large bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the walnut oil, sherry or red wine vinegar and mustard. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then dress the salad well to coat.
To serve, mix salad with the butternut squash, and place onto plates with your choice of leftover cooked meats, works very well with Roast beef, Enjoy!