Recipe of the Month February 2018 - Life's Kitchen
Stir-Fried Kung Pao Chicken with Chilli
A lovely idea for the Chinese New Year
- 2 x Large chicken breasts (boneless, skinless, diced)
- 4 x small dried red chili peppers
- 2 x cloves garlic (Finely chopped)
- 2 x spring onions (sliced diagonal)
- 4 x tablespoons oil Optional: 1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorn
- 1/2 cup peanuts (or cashews)
- Optional: few drops sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Combine marinade ingredients, adding the corn flour last, then marinate the chicken for 25 minutes.
While the chicken is marinating, prepare the sauce and vegetables: In a small bowl, combine the dark soy sauce, rice wine, and sugar. Set aside.
Cut the chilies in half so that they are approximately the same size as the chicken cubes. Remove the seeds.
Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil.
When the oil is hot, add the chicken. Stir-fry until it turns white and is 80 percent cooked. Remove from the wok.
Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds).
Add the chili peppers and the Szechuan peppercorn if using. Stir-fry briefly until they turn dark red.
Add the sauce to the wok. Bring to a boil.
Add the chicken back into the pan. Stir in the peanuts and the green onion.
Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil.
To Serve- Serve hot with your favourite side dish, steamed white rice or egg noodles would go very well.
Enjoy and Happy New Year!