Recipe of The Month-December
Chicken Katsu Curry
This classic dish is ideal for the cold winter evenings, and goes perfectly with a delicious glass of bold red wine
- 4 x 150 Gram Skinless Chicken Breasts (split length ways)
- 100 Grams Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 x Eggs
- 2 x Heaped Tablespoons Flour (any will do)
- Salt & Pepper
- 50ml Vegetable Oil
- 1 x Large Carrot (Peeled)
- 1 x Piece of Cucumber (Same length as the Carrot)
- 50ml White Wine Vinegar
- 1 x Red Chilli chopped (Optional)
- 1 x Dessert Spoon Castor Sugar
- 2 x Onions (Chopped)
- 2 x Cloves of Garlic (Crushed)
- 1 x Large Carrot (Diced into ½ inch pieces and cooked in boiling water until just cooked)
- 1 x Large Potato (Diced into ½ inch pieces and cooked in boiling water until just cooked)
- 2cm Piece of Root Ginger (Grated)
- 2 x Teaspoon Turmeric
- 4 x Tablespoon Mild Curry Powder
- 2 x Tablespoon Flour (Any will do)
- 2 x Chicken or Vegetable Stock Cubes (Dissolved into 800ml boiling water)
- 2 x Teaspoons Soy Sauce
- 1 x Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Small Bunch of Fresh Coriander
Firstly, make the sauce (a good non-stick pan is best). Fry the onion and garlic in the vegetable oil until soft on a moderate heat. Add the spices and flour and continue cooking and stirring on a low heat for a further minute. Add the stock gradually and also the coriander stalks (retain the leaves) and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes.
While this is cooking dip the chicken in seasoned flour, egg and breadcrumbs and fry until golden on each side in a non-stick pan. Place on a baking tray and put into a low oven to keep warm.
Carefully pour the sauce into a blender or use a hand blender to blend into a smooth consistency. Pour into a clean pan, add the soy sauce, carrot and potato, cover and leave simmering on a very low heat.
For the salad, in a bowl mix the vinegar, sugar and chilli. Using a peeler make ribbons from the carrot and cucumber (don’t use the seeds) and add to the dressing. Mix a few of the coriander leaves through the salad.
Remove chicken from oven and slice into pieces (check it is cooked through) and place onto a plate.
You can serve it on top of the sauce or serve the sauce separately. Serve with the salad and if you wish maybe some sticky rice? Enjoy!